Moulton Lava

Moultonic Musings

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Forsaken

The word, sake, (as in "for the sake of") is an old-fashioned word that means "worthwhile purpose."

Conversely, the old-fashioned word, forsaken, means "abandoning something that had once been valued or considered worthwhile."

The feeling of being forsaken is not one you hear mentioned a whole lot these days, but I reckon it's a lot more commonplace than one might realize.

It's not an easy feeling to process.  I suppose it's close to feeling heart-broken or feeling betrayed.

I'd like to believe there still exists worthwhile purposes for people and things which have otherwise become disvalued in our quirky and ever-changing culture.


3 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Smith said...

I like your take on 'forsaken'. I described my feelings of sadness as being heartbroken when my partner of 10 years spat the dummy on our relationship. But, in fact, 'forsaken' as you describe it, is a much better description:
"abandoning something that had once been valued or considered worthwhile."

4:06 AM  
Blogger Moulton said...

The time has come to forsake the Leviathan.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Moulton said...

Here is a poem by Agnes Török on the experience of feeling worthless.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home