Moulton Lava

Moultonic Musings

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Red Gate Farm

In "The Social Network" Aaron Sorkin tells a compelling story about a cadre of very angry and deeply misogynistic students at Harvard University. Sorkin says that Facebook was born during a night of incredible misogyny in which young women were first compared to farm animals and then to each other, based on their looks and their sex appeal.

Photo by Carmen Aldinger
It's hard to read Sorkin's analysis without thinking about George Orwell's Animal Farm in which some animals are more equal than others. In Animal Farm there are themes of privilege, scapegoating, rewriting history, pogroms, and self-delusion.

Nowadays, almost any scandal is labeled with the suffix "-gate" (after Watergate). And so it seems altogether fitting and proper to invoke the visual metaphor of the Red Gate Farm as the unifying them of "L'Affair Moulton" in Wiki Country.

Now all I need is a theme song.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger annie1931 said...

Is this your personal blog to which you referred in a now forgotten other blog? I went through a few of them, totally over my head, of course, and finally came back here.

I'm from The Town social site, and was enthralled by your posts there - so would like to follow a personal post if possible.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Moulton said...

Yes, this is my personal blog, where I post a motley collection of items ranging from essays to silly song parodies.

I also have a personal forum at World Crossing called Moulton's Playspace.

I'm also on Twitter and Facebook.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home